Amanda Moments
September 17, 2014

to the people that say you need human kids to be a real mom

Well, to that, I say:

What about the time the cat stole a piece of pizza off the table and my husband had to wrestle it out of her mouth from underneath the bed?

What about when I have to comfort my dog every single time there’s a thunderstorm because he’s scared of the loud noises?

What about the immense joy I feel when my pets learn a new trick or do something really sweet like let me snuggle them when I’m sad?

What about when my dog ate an entire pan of zucchini bread and had runny poops for a week and I had to scrape it out of the grass into the bag to throw away?

What about when we put up with washing our sheets every week because it routinely gets covered in pet hair, kitty litter bits and doggy skid marks, but if we ban our pets from the bedroom, they scream all night long to be in there with us, and it’s a small price to pay for their happiness? And yes, that does mean that two humans, two cats and one 50-pound dog do all sleep in one queen size bed.

What about when our cat got a clump of hair stuck in her rear and my husband had to pull it out, wash her up and comfort her?

What about the fact that we put up with living in a crappy apartment because no one else will rent to us with our pets, and the thought of living without them is not an option?

What about when I hate bringing them to the vet to get shots, but do it anyway because I care about keeping them healthy, even if it means having to deal with a scared, screaming kitty and far too high vet bills?

What about knowing my pets’ quirks, like never chewing gum in the house because the dog freaks out over the smacking sound, or having to supervise the cats’ meals because they will steal eachothers’ food?

What about buying new toys and outfits for my pets even though they hate most of it?

What about when I go out of town and all I can think about is how my pets are doing and wondering if my sitter is checking up on them or not.

What about how I love those little guys unconditionally even though they sometimes cause me ridiculous levels of stress and frustration, but their sweet faces fix anything?

What about how most of what I talk about with friends is our cats and what they’ve been up to?

What about how they completely depend on me for their nutrition, exercise, care and survival?

And people say you need human kids to be a parent.

32 responses to “And people say you need human kids to be a parent”

1. Amy says:

Oh my word, YES! I love this post and how true this is! As a furbaby Mom I can relate to several of these and add pulling a fish hook out of cat’s lip when she tried to play with it as it hung from a fishing pole. Great post!!!!

2. Felice Raina says:

lol this is one of the best blog posts i’ve read all morning lol!! This is so true. Pets are definitely like kids and sometimes even more work lol

• Aw thank you! For sure – sometimes they seem like soo much work, and I can totally handle a real kid…but then again if I need to go out I’m allowed to leave my pets alone at home, so I guess maybe not. Haha.

3. Katie says:

Seriously, it’s exactly how I feel about my pets! They are so dear to me, I can’t imagine not thinking of them or taking care of them every single day. Great post! 🙂

4. Wonderful! I totally understand! I’m young and not even married, but I think of raising my dog as practice for when I have kids eventually.

5. Yep! My Maggie is my baaby, always and forever. We always joke when we do have a baby Ryan will have to cradle Maggie because she will be so jealous. Being a dog parent is good prep 🙂

6. Rebecca says:

AMEN. I couldn’t agree more. Especially when one of our dogs has poop stuck to its butt and we have to clean it. That right there is parenting.

7. Lisa @ Adventures of a Dream Catcher says:

Hahahaha! I don’t even technically own Claude (though I always refer to myself as his “mom” out loud), but I can definitely see why you feel the way you do about your pets!

8. as a new doggy-owner, totally agree! and i cracked up at your cat stealing the pizza image and i bought my first raincoat for our dog today!

our dog’s name is sugar so my husband affectionately calls me his “sugar mama” which freaks me out and brings me great joy at the same time. great post!

9. Miss Angie says:

I totally agree! Sweet post!

10. This is soo sweet and so true! Furbaby moms are totally real moms too!

11. Gosh, our pets take so much work! I almost forget sometimes, because the cats are kind of on autopilot and our dog is older (so until she gets even older, she is less work). But I took care of Lucy in her last days 24/7, cooking up chicken and rice for her and holding her… I was definitely her real parent in those days.

• Oh, that is for sure the hardest part of pet parenting, is seeing them through their last days. I DREAD when that comes for my own pets. I just took our pet insurance on my oldest cat in case things start declining in his old age, and even that made me cry. Ugh, those little guys mean so much!

12. Lulu says:

Hahahha this is perfect and so true !!! My little pup is a lot to handle, from allergies to ear infections, so yep, def mommy duties ! 🙂

~ Lu
    xx

13. Jacquie says:

I am so with you on this! I adore my baby more than anything in this world and have all sorts of things that I need to do to make her feel better and be happy! One of her quirks is that she will only eat particular types of food, if it is not the correct type of food she will not eat it at all

14. Laura Beth says:

This is so spot on!!! I can’t wait to talk about our kids this weekend haha

15. […] And People Say You Need Human Kids to be a Parent from Amanda at Notes from a Newlywed. This had me laughing and saying, “yes, yes, and YES!!!” If you have furbabies, you MUST read this one. I betcha can relate! […]

16. YES! Y. E. S.
    Thank you for sharing this. I completely agree and have had to do most of the things on this list for my own fur babies.

17. […] I’m also slightly obsessed with cats. And by that I mean majorly. I have two kitties now — Captain and Little Girl — and I am a firm believer in the healing power of funny cat […]